Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Blogging in Mathematics?

As I've been working on my assignments for my class, I have been thinking frequently, "That would work so well in an English classroom." or "Every history class should be doing that."  It has even made me want to get my teaching certificate for science more so I can do some of the things that have been suggested for biology or physics.  It does seem that many of the features of the read/write web do favor the classes that are focused on reading and writing.  But as I've gone through my days thinking about it, I have developed several strategies for using technology in general and blogs in particular even in a math classroom.

If you have heard me talk about mathematics at all, you know that I feel that math is really just the study of patterns.  Different courses give you different tools to use to find, analyze, and create patterns.  Arithmetic is the patterns of counting.  Geometry is the patterns of shapes.  Calculus is the patterns of change.  I want my students to understand patterns in their lives and in the world around them.  A blog is the perfect way to do this.  I can set up a topic of "what patterns do you see in _____?"  Or I can have the students discuss how different tools can be used on a specific type of pattern.  Or the students themselves can find patterns and start a discussion about them all by themselves.  They can find information about how different cultures or people looked at patterns.  No matter what the student finds interesting, they can find a way to tie it to patterns.  A blog will help them discuss their ideas with each other and let them use their creativity to develop new ideas beyond what is taught in the classroom.

4 comments:

  1. Do your students share your same view of math being a series of patterns? Is this something you teach them?

    Just some questions as you start this journey:
    How would you implement the blogs in your classroom? Would students have to do all of their entries at home, or is class time provided? Do all of your students have access to computers? What about the students who respond with, "I don't get it"?

    I have one computer in the back of my classroom for student use. Beyond that, our library has plenty of computers. In the neighborhood in which I teach, most of my students do not have internet access at home. I think I would have to incorporate the blogs as more a form of Differentiated Instruction than a requirement for everyone. How do you think it will happen in your class?

    Amy
    mrswest.podbean.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    Patterns is something I bring up from the very beginning, and I try to bring the concept back as often as it is appropriate.

    As far as implementation goes, I would allow the students to use whatever time they could to use the blog. For students that don't have internet access at home, they would be able to use the computers in the library or in my classroom during their lunch or after school. I would also allow some time during class when it was feasible.

    "I don't get it" is always an issue, but that is one of the benefits of a blog. They can see how other students are doing the assignments, and can get help and advice from them as well as from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think finding the time to implement this shift towards a more technological classroom is a challenge for teachers for many reasons. I can see how it is difficult to implement without an adequate number of computers. There is so much pressure to meet so many requirements using the old-fashioned methods of paper and pencils. It is difficult for some to justify to their administrators how blogs will enhance the learning experience of the learners. We need to start the dialogue with our colleagues, so they understand there is more to computers than word documents, PowerPoint, and the occasional games.

    -Jonah

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I think of using math in blogging my first thought was of a community math problem where students can contribute one step at a time, or where multiple representations could be shown. At your level of mathamatics and student capabilities is this a form that could match your room? I teach 6th grade multiple subjects and I know sometimes we will do a problem as a community. One student at a time gives next step.

    ReplyDelete