Friday, November 5, 2010

Facebook for the classroom

Last week, Norton school district warned its teachers not to friend their current or former students on Facebook or other social networking sites, and not to share their phone numbers with their students.  They feel that students shouldn't know too much about their teachers.  While I agree that there is a need to keep our professional lives and are private lives separate, I feel that this is the wrong direction to take.

In the business world, I feel it is a bad idea for an employer to friend his or her employees.  Knowing too much about the people you work with can cause issues for both sides.  However, I don't think that doing so should be a punishable offense.  It is more a breach of etiquette than a breach of power.  The same is true in the case of classrooms.  Students and teachers should not be forced into the awkward situations that can occur in the social internet.

However, there are some very good reasons to know what students are interested in outside of the classroom environment.  Educators can use social networks to gather information about what their students are interested in learning, and modify their curriculum accordingly.  Information can quickly be disseminated to students if a last minute change is required.  And online bullying can be noticed and proper interventions can be made.

So what should teachers be doing?  First of all, teachers should be educating themselves about the social media that is out there, and they should be learning about internet ethics and standards.  Second, they should be teaching their students these same values.  All civics and ethics classes should have global communication added to their curriculum.  Most importantly, they should be behaving at all times as if they were in public.  Because with the open communication that we have now, they are.  But so should politicians, businessmen, and every other person that knows someone who uses electricity.  We are all in the public eye now.

2 comments:

  1. With the introduction of new technology one must understand its powers. Facebook has kept me in touch with distant family and allows me to share important family events. I also keep in mind that information is openly shared. I have found a good list of useful need to knows when using Facebook on: http://s-data.current.com/1jfg84c
    As another caution the courts are not favoring teachers on Facebook, so I always caution my collegues to not friend students. Facebook is protected by the 1st amendment as free speech. Teachers need to maintain their professionalism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very apprehensive about using FACEBOOK with my students. It is not always your actions but the actions of your "friends" on FACEBOOK that could get you in trouble. I recently had a friend post a video on their page. Obviously the link came to my page. I opened it up and was shocked and embarassed. I have also had some past highschool friends that do not well...I would not want my students seeing something from my website and think it is a representation of my values and beliefs when it is not. You can find out about your students by asking them during class as they are working on a project. They do not mind. You can also "tweet" information and/or text message them. The students will give you ways to get a hold of them. Don't put youself in a bad situation.

    ReplyDelete