Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Carrying Out the Plan

Now that I have my goals set, it's important that I figure out how to go about achieving them.  The first thing I need to do with both of my goals is to find resources.  Some, like WebQuest, have been suggested to me by my classmates, and others I have already seen and used for other purposes.  Beyond the internet resources however, I also need to talk to my network of peers that may have the same or similar goals.  By working together, we will be able to assist each other in reaching further.

Specifically, I feel that I would like to work with other teachers that have had more experience and skills with adapting lessons to help all of their students.  I will talk to them about their work, and also tell them about the ideas I have in mind, including using the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) that we have been discussing in class.  Some of these may be new to my peers, and I hope that I will be able to assist them as they assist me.

While I haven't had much opportunity to do any of this yet due to prior obligations, I have a whole day set aside later this week (Friday) for just this purpose.

3 comments:

  1. Sara to Ben:
    Working with colleagues is a great opportunity. Do you have Professional Learning Communities/Teams (PLC/PLT) in your school? This is a wonderful way to organize your time with colleagues. It also provides the chance to discuss what is going on in the classroom, ask for feedback, and to brainstorm ideas and strategies together. I have PLTs in my building that meet weekly and they are very helpful to my teaching. There are so many resources available for UDL, it just takes time to search for them on the web. I am glad that you were able to take a day to focus on this. It is hard in summer to focus on school! Good luck with your GAME Plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benjamin,
    I really appreciate that you are setting specific dates to keep up with your plan. Our students need the same from us. I also really like your idea to use programs like web quest and other digital technology. I can see your students willing to grow from this experience. I would also try to have them create their own quests and use things like cameras and sites like facebook to grow from one another. If your school allows it of course. Also check with your tech guys to see whats allowed.
    Andrew Hickman

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sara: We have a PLT of the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade teachers that meets every other Friday, however it isn't very well organized and we don't get as much done as I'd like. I would love to try to help us gain more focus, but I don't know if I can take on that responsibility right now.

    @ Andrew: I'm lucky that my school district is very permissive when it comes to website use. As long as I can show that it has educational merit, it is allowed.

    ReplyDelete