Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My GAME Plan

The National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) (International Society for Technology in Education., 2008) have many indicators that I feel confident I fulfill.  However, there are several that I would like to work on a little, and a few that I need to really work hard to meet.  My goal over the next couple of months is to work on one that I really need help with and one that I need a little help with.  That way I don't get overwhelmed with two major projects, but at the same time, I will feel like I have truly accomplished something.


For my first goal, I have chosen NETS-T indicator 4b: "address the diverse needs of all learners by using learner-centered strategies and providing equitable access to appropriate digital tools and resources."  While I feel that I do a good job of providing digital tools and resources to my students, I feel like I would like to do a better job of diversifying my options for students that learn in different ways or need different levels of assistance.  I feel like sometimes my focus wanders from the students who are doing the best, because they do not demand as much attention.  Finding ways to challenge these students with technology, is something I would love to work on.

To achieve this goal, I will explore the resources that are available to expand learning for my students beyond what I am already using, looking for new strategies to add to my toolbox.  I will spend time each week looking for projects that other teachers have done and see how I can implement them in my classroom.

As a way of monitoring my progress, I will review the sites I have found each Saturday, making sure that I can understand the tools I have found, see how these strategies can be used in my classroom, and think about the ways they will change my lessons.

Once I have reached my goal, I will expand it by looking for lessons that I have that can effectively use these new tools, and adapt the lessons to make them a better fit for my students.


This will be good practice for my other goal that I will be working on.  NETS-T 2a: "design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity."  While I feel that I am good at using resources that I find, I need a lot of work on adapting resources to fit my specific classroom environment more exactly.  This is a big concern of mine, because I want my students to get the most out of my lessons that they can.

To achieve this goal, I am going to be looking at my lesson plans that I have, and determine ways that I can modify each of them depending on certain situations that may arise in my classroom.  I will work on one lesson each week, until I have a fair understanding of what I am doing and feel like I can do it mid-course.

As a way of monitoring myself, I will keep track of how long it takes me to adapt my plans.  I feel that as I get better at adapting my lessons, the amount of time that it takes will decrease.  When it gets to a point that I feel is comfortable, I will have reached this level of the goal.

Once I do reach this goal, I will look at my other lessons and see if there is anything I can do to them to make them easier to adapt in the future if I need to.


I look forward to working on these goals, knowing that my students will benefit from my effort.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx

4 comments:

  1. Benjamin -
    I, too, tend to find myself focusing my attention on students who need remediation and extra assistance more than on those students who need extra, enrichment opportunities. I think that you have identified a great way for teachers to provide those students with extra opportunities to challenge themselves. By providing various activities utilizing technology, you are giving students opportunities to pace themselves and work on the extra, enrichment activities at their own pace. By giving students a chance to work ahead and challenge themselves, you are helping them become self-directed learners who are responsible for their own learning (Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer, 2009).

    One way I have attempted to create enrichment activities using technology is by making a WebQuest for my advanced students. I created the WebQuest and only made it available to select students, and I found that it was a beneficial experience. If I were to use it again, I would add numerous elements to make it more interactive and more challenging, but it is definitely something you could try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara to Benjamin:
    You definitely have some great goals in mind. I also often tend to focus on using technology with students are struggling more than for my higher achieving students. I think it is important that we find strong resources and ideas for all students to be involved with technology. I think it also a great idea to begin by adjusting one lesson a week. I think this will lead to more lessons being adjusted weekly. Do you have a teammate or colleague that you can work with? I find that whenever I am planning and I can collaborate with another person my lesson become more meaningful. When there is another person to brainstorm with, then the lessons can become more engaging and enriching for students. I would also suggest sharing your GAME plan with a colleague who you know will help you and hold you accountable. This has always helped to keep me on track with my plan. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benjamin,

    I definitely appreciate that you are looking to differentiate for all students in the class. I think it is important that we find ways to not only bring struggling students up to proficiency, but also that we find ways to challenge talented students. Further, I also think that working with technology, as you indicated, may help in your goal. Perhaps incorporating a media project may give enough room for you to differentiate you instruction and work with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Danielle: WebQuest is a great idea. I will start by looking at that site, and see what I can do with it.

    @ Sara: I do have a teammate that I am planning on working with. I agree having someone to help me stay focused is a great help.

    @ Katie: A media project is a great idea. I will have to think on how I can implement that.

    ReplyDelete